Based in the Neighbourhood team at Kevin Pearce Children’s Centre
Flexible hours – up to 37 per week
£26,245 pro rata/part time
North Halifax Partnership supports the Calderdale ambition to be the most active borough in the North. Working in partnership with Active Calderdale we are looking to appoint an individual to drive this place-based work in North Halifax.
The role involves working with our existing NHX Place Based Social Action Community Organiser to:
· Listen to the community to understand how the driving factors – individual, social, environmental, and transport, are affecting physical inactivity levels in Illingworth, Mixenden and Ovenden wards.
· Build trusting relationships and powerful networks which enable residents, groups, associations, and businesses in the North Halifax wards of Ovenden, and Illingworth & Mixenden to adopt and embed the Active Calderdale agenda, creating better conditions that support the strategy priority groups to be physically active.
· Work with existing assets to develop more accessible, safer and inclusive opportunities to move and be active in communities through community action.
It is essential that you have:
· Experience of community organising, using a recognised and reputable community organising model or process
· Knowledge and understanding of the physical activity agenda
You will work closely with the wider Community Programmes Team, including our ‘Active’ Staying Well Worker to ensure a joined up coherent approach to physical activity at a local level – connecting community assets to maximise local opportunities and reduce duplication.
We are especially looking for someone who will recognise the existing potential in North Halifax and be able to harness the power of the community to address the wider influences on activity levels and find solutions that are practical and lasting.
North Halifax Partnership is a community-led charity with a purpose to support individuals from cradle to grave, and to carry out activities which relieve poverty and disadvantage, promote health and wellbeing, and strengthen communities. From the first Sure Start Children’s Centre to the first Men in Sheds group, North Halifax is an area with a history of successful volunteer and community led programmes.
We deliver children’s centres and family support services; a Staying Well service to tackle loneliness and isolation; the Ovenden and Mixenden Initiative helps people into employment and training, provides youth and diversionary projects and delivers activities that make the community safer, cleaner, greener and more cohesive.
About Active Calderdale
Most people know that keeping active is good for our health. Being more active can reduce your risk of diseases like cancer and diabetes, and it can keep you more mobile for longer as you grow older.
It can also help you to feel better mentally, tackling conditions like depression and anxiety. Being active can bring people together, build stronger communities and it can help the environment too!
Active Calderdale have a mission to work with communities to make physical activity an embedded part of day to day life in Calderdale. Our goals are to reduce physical inactivity levels, and to address inequalities in Calderdale. For more information visit https://active.calderdale.gov.uk
If you are interested and want to know more, contact Rachel Swaby on 07852173685.
Closing date for applications is 12 noon on Wednesday 17th August 2022
Please note: if you have not heard from us within 3 weeks of the stated closing date, please assume you have not been shortlisted for interview.
A ‘Golden Hello’ payment is offered with this post. This means the successful candidate will receive 3 incentive payments over the period of 12 months. The first being paid when their employment starts, the second after completing a successful probationary period and the final payment will be made after 12 months in employment.